Other high rankers included The Kid LAROI, Empire Of The Sun, and recent cover star Dom Dolla.
Spotify have released their first-ever Australian Music Global Impact List – a ranking of the songs by Australian artists that had the biggest global reach across the international streaming service – with the top spot taken out by Kylie Minogue’s recent hit Padam Padam.
The list is made up of 30 songs altogether, with the window of eligibility spanning January 1 to June 30 of this year. The Kid LAROI and Empire Of The Sun take out the second and third places – respectively with Love Again and the Southstar remix of We Are The People – while the Top Five is rounded out by recent cover star Dom Dolla (with his Nelly Furtado collab Eat Your Man) and EDM heavyweight Timmy Trumpet (with the YOU-assisted Good Morning).
There’s a broad list of genres covered across the list, but dance tracks seem to be the most popular: The Hard Way by PNAU and TMO (Turn Me On) by Luude ranked highly at #7 and #8, respectively, following the Armin van Buuren remix of Live Without Love by Shouse at #6. Further down the list, though, we see standouts like Motor Spirit by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard (#12), Halo by Pendulum (#14), I’m Leaving by The Teskey Brothers (#15), Promise by Voyager (#17) and Silver Lining by Grentperez (#20).
Indie-rock dominates the back-end of the list, too, with Tame Impala’s Wings Of Time coming in at #23, followed by Spacey Jane’s BENEE-assisted Lots Of Nothing at #25. Tash Sultana also made the cut at #29 with James Dean, and repping Australia’s metalcore scene, Polaris squeezed in at #30 with their Fatalism single Inhumane. You can see the full list of songs that made Spotify’s Australian Music Global Impact List below.
Don't miss a beat with our FREE daily newsletter
In a press statement, Alicia Sbrugnera – Spotify Australia’s head of music – vouched that “the Australian music industry is now bigger than it ever has been, thanks to streaming”. She continued: “In an age of an emerging borderless music industry, this list is a fantastic snapshot of local artists having a big impact on the world stage and comes as Australia looks to become a net exporter of music. Last year Australian artists generated close to 80 [percent] of their royalties from outside of Australia!”
1. Kylie Minogue – Padam Padam
2. The Kid LAROI – Love Again
3. Empire of the Sun – We Are The People (Southstar remix)
4. Dom Dolla – Eat Your Man (with Nelly Furtado)
5. Timmy Trumpet – Good Morning (featuring YOU)
6. Shouse – Live Without Love (Armin van Buuren Remix edit)
7. PNAU – The Hard Way
8. Luude – TMO (Turn Me On) [featuring Kevin Lyttle]
9. Go-Jo – Mrs. Hollywood
10. Keenan Te – Scars
11. Dirty South – Carte Blanche
12. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Motor Spirit
13. Vacations – Next Exit
14. Pendulum – Halo
15. The Teskey Brothers – I’m Leaving
16. Ruel – Must Be Nice
17. Voyager – Promise
18. Lithe – Hold Out
19. Clinton Kane – Dancing All Alone
20. Grentperez – Silver Lining
21. Dope Lemon – Kimosabè
22. Seaforth – Get The Girl
23. Tame Impala – Wings Of Time
24. Torren Foot – New Bottega
25. Spacey Jane – Lots Of Nothing (featuring BENEE)
26. Tones And I – I Am Free
27. Aston – Mama Didn’t Raise No
28. G Flip – Be Your Man
29. Tash Sultana – James Dean
30. Polaris – Inhumane