19-year-old Dies After Suspected Drug Overdose At FOMO Festival

14 January 2019 | 8:59 am | Staff Writer

Police have issued a statement.

A 19-year-old woman is confirmed to have died from a suspected drug overdose after attending FOMO Festival in Sydney on Saturday. 

Police confirmed Alex Ross-King was taken from the Parramatta Park event to Westmead Hospital at around 6pm but died a short time after. 

An investigation is now underway.

FOMO organisers issued a statement today, saying they "are deeply saddened by the death of one of our patrons". Read the full statement below.

Don't miss a beat with our FREE daily newsletter

Overall, 36 people were arrested at FOMO, mostly on drug-related matters, while police "located and seized about 200 caps believed to contain MDMA, three bags of white powder, and eight tablets". 

Despite renewed calls for pill testing, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has continued to push against the concept. 

"As the leader of this state, as the leader of the Government, my job is to keep the community safe at all times and if there's more we need to do we will," Berejiklian told ABC.

"But I also want to make sure we look at every opportunity to reduce those deaths. I worry that something like pill testing could have the opposite effect."

Speaking to The Music this month, Matt Noffs, CEO of Ted Noffs Foundation, called on state governments to take action and consider pill testing, after a 22-year-old male also died from an "unknown substance" at Lost Paradise festival in New South Wales.

"I've got a very simple line for [NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian] which is... for God's sake before you make a decision, listen to the evidence," Noffs said.

"Because when you don't listen to the evidence and you make an ill-informed opinion, it's pure ignorance and it really angers many many parents across Australia."