Landlord locked out staff
Fitzroy hotel and music venue the Rochester Castle Hotel has closed following a dispute between the licensees and landlord.
In a statement today the venue's management said, “It comes with great sadness and a sense of reflection as we announce that The Rochester Castle Hotel, 202 Johnston Street, Fitzroy has had to cease business and close it's doors indefinitely.
“The Rochester Castle's management would like to thank each and every patron, band, promoter, entertainer and staff member who over the years has supported what will be remembered as one of Johnston Street's iconic pubs.”
A source told theMusic.com.au earlier this week that the parties spent their sixth day in court on Tuesday over a case that has forced the venue to close in recent weeks. Updating fans via Facebook since it first closed 30 April, the pub told punters that they were working through an “issue with red tape”.
They had been periodically releasing statements claiming that despite the current “tricky spot” the venue would return.
“The Rochy isn't lost forever, let's just say she's gone on a little holiday, and we guarantee that her welcome home party is going to be the best thing ever,” they wrote.
A source could not confirm to theMusic.com.au whether the venue would be re-opening earlier this week a staff member of the bar has now told Fairfax that the landlord had taken control of the venue over unpaid rent. They speculate that the property will now be developed.
“He wants the building back,” the staff member tells the paper, “from what I hear they are trying to develop the site.”
Don't miss a beat with our FREE daily newsletter
The venue's approximately 20 staff have been locked out since the dispute took hold. Regular night Black Night Crash has been on hold, while Our Man In Berlin's tour is due to visit the venue Saturday 7 June.
"We haven't been told anything about what the problem is,” another staff member alleges. “We had been hopeful that it would open the weekend after that and then last weekend, but within the last 48 hours the situation has deteriorated. It's a real shame, it looks like the Rochy is going to be finished as we know it.”